Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Big Time Rush and Olivia Somerlyn - Houston, TX


Big Time Rush prior to start

It took me a little while to get this blog post up but I definitely wanted to blog about this trip. This trip all started with my daughter, Kaia. One of her favorite bands is Big Time Rush, an all boy band that from my teenaged years would compare to New Kids on the Block. She has told me multiple times that she has wanted to go see them in concert.

Olivia Somerlyn wowing the crowd
As the fates would have it and my pocketbook too, three tickets showed up for Big Time Rush under the Christmas tree. One for Kaia, one for Lucrecia, and one for me were delivered by none other than Santa Claus!  Her friend and friend’s mom found two tickets under their tree from Santa as well.

The concert was in Houston, TX, so we booked our hotel and set our plans in motion. We left on Saturday,
February 8th and headed for Houston. We arrived early enough to check into our hotel and get freshened up. The concert started at 8 PM so we planned to arrive around 7:30 PM at the concert venue.

We arrived around 7:15 PM, ahead of schedule, and valet parked. We easily entered the concert venue and found our seats on the second tier in the middle. The concert venue had only two levels, the ground floor and the level we were seated. Our seats were great because we could remain seated and enjoy the show. Everyone on the floor stood up for the entire concert.

Big Time Rush with giant balloons. The kids loved it!
Now, on a personal note, I never in my entire life expected to see a boy band in concert, much less come out of pocket for one. I am a My Chemical Romance, Garth Brooks, Lynyrd Skynryd, Rush kind of guy. A wide range, but boy band is not on that list.

Big Time Rush on the scaffolding!
There was an opening act by someone I had never heard of, Olivia Somerlyn. Most of the kids in the audience seemed to know her and enjoyed this portion of the show. She got them up off of their seats and jumping around. She really worked the crowd and from a middle aged guys perspective this portion of the show was nice.

Kaia at the meet and greet with Olivia Somerlyn
When Olivia Somerlyn left it was time for the main act, Big Time Rush. We had to wait a little while and someone with the band kept coming over the PA asking everyone if they were ready and pumping up the crowd. For me, this went on way to long. It seemed like forever. At first I was into it myself, hollering and screaming for the band, but by the time the band came out I was kind of done and more in the mood of let’s get the show started.

Big Time Rush finally made their entrance and the crowd went wild. Boy, do these kids in the audience have energy. I thought Elvis had entered the building!

The show was interesting. They had built multilevel scaffolding on the stage and these guys in Big Time Rush were all over it. In the center they had place a trampoline which band members repeatedly jumped onto and off back onto the stage scaffolding.

I actually knew some of their music from hearing my daughter listen to it and seeing the band on the Nickelodeon show Big Time Rush.  The songs were pleasing to hear and these guys can really sing. They played a variety of their music and even included an acoustic session where they played multiple songs.
The concert ended with two encores much to the enjoyment of the kids in attendance. 

Afterwards Olivia Somerlyn was taking pictures, meeting and greeting fans, and signing autographs. Kaia and her friend wanted to meet her so I waited at a nearby table as the rest of our group waited in line. It took about 30 minutes for them to finally meet Olivia Somerlyn. She was very friendly and seemed to be genuinely interested in her fans.

My daughter and her friend said the concert was great and they had a lot of fun.
On a personal note I never would have done this if not for my daughter. Having done it I have to say it was enjoyable but not something I would want to do again. Unless of course my daughter says Pleassssse!

No comments:

Post a Comment