Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

National Jamboree - 2013


Contingent Jamboree Meeting - Photo by Vinson Mouser
My son and I went up to Camp Attakapas near Jena, LA yesterday for the first meeting of our contingent for the Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree.

Camp was looking good and I really wished I had been at camp on an overnighter instead of the business meeting I was attending. The temperature was in the upper 60’s, there was hardly a cloud in the sky, and the air felt and smelled like spring is just around the corner.



Contingent Scoutmaster Johnny Kiesewetter kicked off the meeting and discussed shirts, trip itineraries, luggage, and more. There were about 22 boys in attendance with parents.

Our contingent will be riding a bus from Alexandria, LA to Monroe, LA to Atlanta, GA where we will stay the first night. The second day we will be going to Six Flags Atlanta and then we will catch a Atlanta Braves baseball game. 
Ordering trading patches - Photo by Vinson Mouser

We will spend a second night in Atlanta and then head for the National Jamboree in West Virginia at the Summit Bechel Scout Reserve. The Boy Scouts of America are expecting over 40,000 to participate in this years Jamboree.

Activities at the Jamboree will include zip lines, rock climbing, scuba diving, archery, skeet shooting, sail boating, skateboarding, canoeing, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, and so much more.

Jamboree looks to be so much fun it makes me wish I was a young scout again. I know all of these boys, my son included, are going to get so much out of the 2013 National Jamboree.

Shortly after the Jamboree meeting my son and I took a short walk around part of the camp and then headed home. It was such a perfect weekend for camping. I sure wish I could have stayed.



1 comment: