Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Natchez, MS Visitor Center



Natchez, MS Visitor Center - Photo by Vinson Mouser

The other day I was in Alexandria, LA when I got a wild thought. I decided to drive, with the family, to Natchez, MS. I realized I had never been to Natchez but had heard a lot about it. Off we went on what was a little longer drive than I expected.


I have to say I saw some sights along the way that really shocked me. Even at my age I still find it hard to believe that so many of our fellow men live in such poor conditions here in the United States. Some of the homes in the small towns along the way were in such poor condition that people should not live in them, but live in them they did.


When we crossed the bridge from Louisiana into Natchez, MS. We immediately stopped at the Natchez, MS Visitor Center. The visitor center has a large parking area and the building itself is quite large.

Interactive display - Photo by Vinson Mouser
We entered the building and I was surprised. Instead of the usual front desk I have come to expect, I was in a display room with displays of Natchez. We browsed the displays and moved into an adjoining area where we found more displays on Natchez and the Mississippi River. Of course we found the desk. The greeters at the front desk were very friendly and helpful.


We continued to browse the displays and wander through the Welcome Center. I was surprised to find a gift shop stocked with all sorts of items. 


Captains Steering Wheel - Photo by Vinson Mouser
The kids really enjoyed the interactive displays. I especially liked the Riverboat Captains Steering Wheel. It made for a fun display.


There was a second level in the welcome center that offered an overlook of the Mississippi River.


If you plan to visit Natchez, MS be sure to stop at the Visitors Center. It is a good place to learn some history about Natchez and the information they provide is very helpful.


The Natchez, MS Visitor Center is located at 640 South Canal Street, Natchez, MS 39120. You can visit their website at http://www.visitnatchez.org/visitor/visitor-center/.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really nice visitors center. Louisiana should learn how to put in gift shops to help fund their visitors centers.

    ReplyDelete