Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Ghost at Camp Attakapas



Was it my imagination, some supernatural phenomenon, or a ghost? I’ll let you read the story and decide.
On Thursday, November 22, 2012 I was at Boy Scout Camp Attakpas near Jena, LA. It was my second year as Winter Camp Program Director but my first year without the past Program Director assisting me on camp.

I had six adult volunteers on camp property with me. The camp is about 350 acres and has several buildings clustered in a small area. I know of no ghost stories from Camp Attakpas and previously have never seen anything unusual.

My group of volunteers had been working most of the day and had all retired to their campsites except myself and Brenda. I had driven Brenda down to her site and we were talking about the day’s events and what needed to be done the next day in preparation of the arrival of scouts.
It was around 9 PM and we were near the staff showers. There was a street light on, so the area was well lit up. Suddenly it went very dark which startled me. I asked Brenda, “What happened?” She replied, “The streetlight went out!” 

Photo of the lake at Camp Attakapas from Campsite Goodman



No sooner had she finished her explanation, I noticed the lights in the nearby Health Lodge went out. I asked her if she had noticed the lights in the Health Lodge go out, to which she replied that she had seen the same thing.

Now for disclosure purposes there were 5 other people on camp but to the best of my knowledge they were all back at their campsite preparing for bed.

Brenda commented, “I hope we don’t have an electrical problem.” I asked her to grab a flashlight so we could check the breaker box in the Health Lodge. 

On our way to the Health Lodge Brenda said she thought the lights in the Dining Hall had gone out as well. I was unsure as to whether the lights had been on in the Dining Hall.

When we arrived at the Health Lodge the street light came back on and once again illuminated the area. I entered the Health Lodge and noted all of the light switches were in the off position and none of the breakers were tripped. 

Next, we next went to the Dining Hall and were unable to enter as the Dining Hall was completely locked up.
I later spoke with the other volunteers and one of them stated there had been a light on in the Dining Hall Kitchen. All of them denied playing any practical jokes or being in the area.

That’s my ghost story from Camp Attakapas. Not really scary I supposed but definitely unusual.

No comments:

Post a Comment